GMS Rowing Center, located on the Housatonic River at 172 Grove Street in New Milford, was founded in 2004. With easy access from the river to expansive Lake Lillinonah, elite to recreational-level rowers have determined that GMS is one of the best places to row in the country. Our athletes have and continue to excel at both National and World Championships at the Junior, U23, Senior, and Master levels. Since the club’s inception in 2004, more than 100 athletes who trained at GMS have been named to the USA National Team.
We offer rowing to many groups of people.
- Those new to the sport- learn to row.
- Novice and Recreational Rowers.
- Middle School and High School -Junior Rowers Ages 13-19.
- College rowers’ home for the summer.
- Adults-learn to row to competitive rowers.
- Elite competitors.
This tranquil setting is ideal for:
- Focusing on technique.
- Conditioning in preparation for races.
- National Team aspirations.
- The sheer enjoyment of the sport.
- All rowers must adhere to the launching and docking patterns.
- All rowers must stay to the starboard side of the river/lake and avoid being in the center of the water.
- All rowers must wear brightly colored vests/T-shirts (please note that red colors can’t be easily seen).
- Lights must be used as light fades or when it’s dark.
- You are required to carry a personal floatation device in your boat from Oct 1st-May 31st.
- Please check the flow of the water. Click on the link usgs water levels
- For daily notifications on water levels, click on the link daily alerts.
- If the flow is over 3000 cubic feet per second do not go through the gorge.
- Do not go through the gorge until May 1st.
- 100-degree rule. Water and air temperature have to equal 100 degrees for 1x’s to row.
- If the wind is over 10 mph from the south, we advise no rowing for singles.